The Ballycarry Community Association, through funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund, has created The Weaver’s Trail, a plaque trail around Ballycarry to highlight locations particularly associated with James Orr.

The trail was launched at a public lecture in the village community centre on November 30, 2011, when Dr. Carol Baraniuk, an acknowledged expert on Orr delivered an outstanding talk on the poet and his work. The event was also attended by the Mayor of Larne and local councillors as well as a good cross section of the local community and visitors. The plaques were unveiled in 2012 and are located at six sites in and around the village.

These are;
The Fairhill (on the wall of the community centre); this plaque highlights the area was site of the old village fair, which Orr composed a song about. The plaque was unveiled by Mrs. Dorothy Irvine, Redhall, former secretary of the Community Association.
Millar’s Public House (on the front wall); this plaque, unveiled by publican Tony Gawley, highlights the fact that Orr socialised in the public house, and also took part in early Masonic meetings in an upstairs room, being one of the founders of the Masonic Lodge in Ballycarry in 1809.
Ballycarry Old Presbyterian Church (pillar at the gate); this plaque, unveiled by Rev. Dr. John W. Nelson, the local minister and Community Association vice chairman, highlights that Orr attended church at this location from his early years in the 1770s until his death in 1816.
Templecorran Church ruins (on the southern interior wall); this plaque, unveiled by Liam Kelly JP DL, commemorates the ancient ruins which once inspired Orr to write an elegy in the churchyard. The ruins once hosted a medieval church site and were the venue for the first Presbyterian congregation in Ireland to worship from 1613 to 1636.
Orr Monument (on the base at the west side); this plaque was unveiled by Nigel Degnan, a long-time member of the Community Association and also the Redhall Masonic Lodge representative on the committee of the Association. It details the history of the monument, which was erected in 1831 over the grave of Orr.
Malawi Garden (mounted on a stone); the plaque commemorates Orr’s poem The Tree, which detailed a large tree at nearby Bellahill, with rich and extensive foliage. The poet reflects, however, that time ‘will not still, spare the boast of Bellahill’, a reminder of mortality for us all. The plaque was unveiled by well-known local woman Valerie Beattie, a long-serving member of the Community Association and a leading community spirit over many years.
The plaques are augmented by a fingerpost sign on the amenity green which highlights some of the sites which are mentioned by Orr in his poems, including Dumfries, Newfoundland, Donegore Hill and Slemish Mountain.